High School Student or Graduate

To become a Land Surveyor in Training and ultimately a BC Land Surveyor, you must obtain a Certificate of Completion from the Canadian Board of Examiners for Professional Surveyors (CBEPS) or must graduate from the British Columbia Institute of Technology’s Bachelor of Science in Geomatics program with minimum grades in courses specified by the Association of BC Land Surveyors.

The CBEPS Certificate of Completion is proof of academic qualification in land surveying, which may be obtained upon graduation from geomatics degree programs at CBEPS accredited institutions such as the University of Calgary and the University of New Brunswick.

Graduates of two-year geomatics diploma programs at recognized technical institutes may also obtain a CBEPS Certificate of Completion following successful completion of CBEPS examinations. Based on courses taken, graduates of these institutes may be exempt from some CBEPS examinations. A list of technical institutes and specific exemptions are identified on the CBEPS website.

Having obtained the necessary academic qualification, you may enter into a term of articles under a BC Land Surveyor and register with the Association as a Land Surveyor in Training.

During the term of articles, a Land Surveyor in Training receives practical training and experience in core knowledge areas and must develop key land surveying competencies.

Before receiving a commission as a BC Land Surveyor, a Land Surveyor in Training must successfully complete a Professional Examination covering both practical surveying and statutes and regulations, field project reports and a Professional Assessment Interview before the Board of Examiners.